Midgard wall lamp with blue hammertone coat
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling of all elements, the lamp was cleaned, and rebuilt again. The arms have been new painted.
All the small parts have been cleaned, polished, oiled.
Its condition is good. The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use. The arms and the shade shows light dents and losses of paint.
The lamp is engraved with Midgard DDRP, the base with MIDGARD and the shade marked with Midgard.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions perfectly.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the bakelite lamp socket.
The lamp can be easily attached to the wall with the wall-mount bracket and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
Shade diameter 22cm
Cable length 370cm
Bulb socket E27
Manufactured in Auma in Thürigen.