Rare Midgard jointed lamp with “crown”
The design of this special hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was polished brushed varnished and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
It has been polished to give it a steel look.
The lamp is in good overall condition appart from some scratches.
The aluminum shade lost its possibility to turn.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions fine.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the bakelite lamp socket.
The lamp can be easily attached to the wall with the wall-mount bracket and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
Shade diameter 16 cm 1. Arm 46 cm
2. Arm 45 cm
Height approx 28cm head + screen
Cable length 210 cm