Pair of old Midgard wall lamps in blue hammertone
The design of those vintage hinged double-jointed lamps was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling, cleaning, rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was sealed and rebuilt again. All the individual parts were cleaned, polished and oiled.
Their original condition is very good. The lamp has a few signs of wear consistent with its age and use. The arms and the wide shade shows a few losses of paint.
The lamps are engraved with Midgard and the Midgard logo (before the war) on the joints.
The mechanical system of the lamps functions perfectly.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The lights are operated by a rotary switch located on the bakelite lamp socket.
The lamps can be scewed at the wall with the wall-mount brackets.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. Arm approx. 30cm
2. Arm approx. 47cm
Shade diameter approx. 22cm
Bulb socket E27
Cable length approx. 410 cm
Manufactued in Auma in Thüringen
Ref.1801A0456 – 1801A0333